Our history

Twitter

The firm was founded in 1887 by Mr Walter Hunter, a professional of high standing, from Newport. Although the firm has been subject to a number of offers over the last 125 years, each generation of partner has wanted the firm to remain a fully independent and local business, able to serve the local community in the best way possible. There have only been six Senior Partners over the period:

  • Walter Hunter (until 1912)
  • Wilson Bartlett
  • Nugent Bartlett  (Wilson’s son)
  • Ron Smith
  • Rees Thomas
  • Jonathan Rhodes

The firm has always been based in Newport, although in the past it has also had small offices in Chepstow and Caerphilly. The firm was originally based in the Arcade off Cambrian Road, but moved to its current premises in the 1950’s (when Eagle Star decided to rent the upper floors of 24 Bridge Street).

Over the years, the firm has always acted with professionalism and integrity, building up the reputation that it still enjoys today. It has acted for many large businesses such as British Gas (Wales) and CH Bailey plc as well as famous local businesses such as Lovells and Evans & Reid. For many years, the firm acted as auditors to the Welsh Rugby Union, mostly on an honorary basis (apart from an advert in the match-day programme!)

Several of the partners have held high position with the Institute of Chartered Accountants, a fact that the firm is very proud of. They remain a training firm of both the ICAEW and ACCA today.

Looking forward, the firm is well set, and we hope for another 125 years of a successful practice, giving a professional, ethical and value-for-money service to all our clients.

Our client base includes all sizes and types of business from public limited companies and other public interest bodies and managed businesses. Although based in South Wales we have clients throughout the Midlands and South of the UK. We also provide services for clients worldwide on three continents.